Thursday, May 08, 2008

What I Wish He Would Say, part 1

In response to this.

"Some people wonder if I am realistic about the usefulness of diplomacy and dialogue. Look, we have seen, for five long years, the limits of what we can accomplish without it. We can depose Saddam Hussein, or similiar figures elsewhere in the world. We can do this. We are very, very, very good at it -- the best there has ever been. And during my Presidency, the military will continue to have the ability -- the know-how, and the muscle -- to do it. That will not change.

"Let me say one important thing about this. As your President, I will immediately expect civilian military leadership to do a much, much better job than what we all saw happening for so much of the Iraq war. For this important reason, I would consider requesting of current Secretary of Defense Gates that he continue to serve his country in that position. He has done a good job in tough conditions, and, if you elect me, I would very much look forward to talking with him about, among other things, the importance of continuity and institutional memory. The world will continue to benefit from America's guiding hand, in times of danger and times of need. I believe this will be forever so.

"I have tried for my entire adult life -- in my own home, in neighborhoods, in state government, in Congress, all across this great land and here before you today -- to help people see as clearly as they are able that the American hand which projects power in the world does so by holding a light. This is not the guiding hand of a parent. We are sisters and we are brothers. Through the commitments of family and the bonds of friendship we learn our most valuable lessons about how to live with each other. Sturdy, affordable, sustainable housing for all, economies moving forward under their own steam, families feeling safe with children growing strong, peaceful neighborhoods, diplomacy and dialogue: if a nation is at least moving forward toward these things, I hope we will all agree to consider its people least our distant friend. As any adult knows, this friendship does not have to mean we will agree every day.

"I am realistic about the usefulness of dialogue and diplomacy. Even a President who starts his or her term in a time of calm will have to issue orders to the military to go somewhere, to do something important; history tells us this. I believe history tells us something else. The most promising investment a personn, a people or a nation can make is in an abiding time of peace. Not the peace of isolationism or appeasement. Not the peace of authoritarian calm. Not a peace without grievances. And not the peace of mind that might come from naive trust in me or any other leader, or peace in misguided certainty, or the calm of righteous indignation. But the peaceful and joyous noise of real progress. It is, as ever, better to support a generation-long undertaking of peaceful transformation, though it may be marred by outbreaks of conflict, than enter into a generation-long war, calling it just that, in hopes that it will result in something orderly.

I promise, with all of that in mind, to lead an ambitiously realistic effort to engage in purposeful, principled, thoughtful diplomacy, near and far."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home